Advanced Deep Tissue Massage
Relief for tense muscles
- Full Body Massage - £45 (60 mins)
- Back, Neck & Shoulders Massage - £36 (45 mins)
What is deep tissue massage?
Deep tissue massage is a type of massage therapy that focuses on realigning deeper layers of muscles and connective tissue. It is especially helpful for chronically tense and contracted areas such as stiff necks, low back tightness, and sore shoulders. Some of the same strokes are used as classic massage therapy, but the movement is slower and the pressure is deeper and concentrated on areas of tension and pain.
How does Deep Tissue Massage Work?
When there is chronic muscle tension or injury, there are usually adhesions (bands of painful, rigid tissue) in muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Adhesions can block circulation and cause pain, limited movement, and inflammation. Deep tissue massage works by physically breaking down these adhesions to relieve pain and restore normal movement. To do this, direct deep pressure or friction is applied across the grain of the muscles.
What conditions is deep tissue massage used for?
Unlike classic massage therapy, which is used for relaxation, deep tissue massage usually focuses on a specific problem, such as:
- Chronic pain
- Limited mobility
- Recovery from injuries (e.g. whiplash, falls, sports injury)
- Repetitive strain injury, such as carpal tunnel syndrome
- Postural problems
- Osteoarthritis pain
- Muscle tension or spasm
According to the August 2005 issue of Consumer Reports magazine, 34,000 people ranked deep tissue massage more effective in relieving osteoarthritis pain than physical therapy, exercise, prescription medications, chiropractic, acupuncture, diet, glucosamine and over-the-counter drugs. Deep tissue massage also received a top ranking for fibromyalgia pain. People often notice improved range of motion immediately after a deep tissue massage.
Fascinating facts about deep tissue massage
- Rehydrating by drinking water after the treatment can relieve muscle soreness.
- Consultants will not only use their hands and fingers but their elbows and forearms too.
- Muscle spasms can be caused by nerve damage or nutritional deficiencies.
- Having poor body posture can reduce your height.
- Poor posture over time can also lead to problems with bodily functions and internal organs.
- According to the August 2005 edition of Consumer Reports, 34,000 osteoarthritis sufferers felt that deep tissue massage was more effective in relieving their pain than physical therapy, exercise, medication, chiropractic therapy, acupuncture or a prescribed diet. Deep tissue massage was also rated highly for relieving fibromyalgia pain.
- In addition to helping with chronic stiffness and tension, deep tissue massage can also help with those suffering from fatigue and headaches, exacerbated by tension stored in the shoulders and neck.
Additional tips: Don’t eat a heavy meal before the massage